Re: gEDA-user: Arc to line connections?

On Thu, Sep 27, 2007 at 02:01:44PM -0400, DJ Delorie wrote:

> > The manual says I can just switch tools in the middle of a trace
> > using the right keys (F2/F3 in the lesstif HID).  This works when
> > going from a straight line to an arc, but when I try switching from
> > arc to line it does not work properly.
>
> Whenever you switch tools or layers, you always click on the LAST
> point, then switch tools.  So, you should be finishing up the arc,
> "starting" a new arc, switching that to a line, and drawing the line.

Yup, that's what I've been doing.  Just to test, I started a new blank
board and it worked just fine.  So I started turning things off in the
settings menu until I narrowed it down to "Auto-enforce DRC
clearance".  If that is enabled, I cannot go from arc to line (but I
can go from line to arc).  If it is disabled, everything works just
fine.

> However, the new topological autorouters won't be limited to 45's
> any more, so we may start seeing more any-way lines.

Speaking of which, as I was playing with all-direction lines, I
noticed that they do not enforce clearance properly.  They will
enforce clearance of pads, but not other traces.  It happily lets me
come too close to another trace with an all-direction line, and even
to touch it.  If I then run a DRC check (or just redraw the rat's
nest) it complains about the touching copper.

While I'm complaining about quirks -- here's another couple that I
noticed.  One I seem to be able to reproduce reliably: Set up two
netlist-connected pads that aren't connected by traces yet. Start
drawing a trace (45-degree) at one of the pads, connect it to the
other, then hit 'U' to undo that last segmen, without ending the
drawing operation.  For me, it will indeed undo the segment, but the
start point of the current segment (that I'm in the middle of drawing)
will stay on the pad I just connected, instead of reverting to the
previous starting point.  (So that pad actually ends up unconnected,
since it just undid the segment that connected to it, but the start
point of the current segment is wrong.)  It works fine if I undo
before I contact another pad.

I have also noticed, but cannot reliably reproduce yet, that it
sometimes spontaneously inserts vias at the endpoints of segments of
my traces, also possibly associated with undo operations.  I might be
fat-fingering the "U" key?  I dunno, but it happened to me several
times today.

--
Randall