Re: gEDA-user: Method to put a hole into a plane?

On Sat, 2009-09-12 at 13:52 -0400, gene glick wrote:
> PCB can make planes using rectangles or polygons.  Complex planes can be
> made with multiple rectangles.  Is it possible to start with one large
> rectangle, and shape it cutting out sections of it?
>

> gene

Unfortunately not, I think.
Would be very nice -- having negative (subtracting) planes for copper
and ink. Would be very useful for making windows in  ground and power
planes, i.e. which is suggested in datasheets of fast OpAmps around
input and output pins, to reduce capacity coupling.

But I guess this is an large and difficult programming task.

My current solution: I use layer 3 instead of 2 for GND to increase
separation to OpAmp pins. Another method may be to use lines with
clearance to remove copper in planes -- maybe traces with width 0 as
suggested by Kai-Martin, or traces with width >0 and removing these
traces in the gerber files.