Re: gEDA-user: pcb via and ground planes

> Perhaps if you explained *why* you're using a trace that way, we could
> help you figure out how PCB would prefer to handle that situation.

I figured that question was coming next :)

Those particular traces you see are low frequency audio.  There's
several channels of it.  In order to reduce cross talk, it's necessary
to force the current to go where you would like it to - this includes
the return line, aka ground.  Due to the low frequency nature of audio,
for all practical purposes, DC, the return signal is going to flow in
the shortest physical path back to the source.  This open up the
possibility of cross talk when the currents from more than one channel
share the same path.  (this is all much different than high frequency
stuff that follow the path of least inductance)

Maybe a better way to say it is, each audio signal and it's return
should be treated as 2 conductors, separate from the others.  The only
difference is that all the grounds eventually connect together somewhere
insignificant.

This requires that the ground *not* be a solid plane (at least not in
this section of the board).  I thought it would be easier to route a
trace than place rectangles or polygons.