Re: gEDA-user: device attribute in master attribute list

On Tue, 2009-09-22 at 12:35 +0000, Kai-Martin Knaak wrote:
> Cite from the master attribute list:
>
> /--------------
> device= is the device name of the symbol and is required by gnetlist.
> \--------------
>
> However, I forgot the device attribute in some of my symbols and gnetlist
> did not seem to care at all. Netlist generation was just fine. What is
> the purpose of the device attribute? Should the master attribute list be
> adjusted to reflect that the device attribute is not really required? Or
> should gnetlist be patched to issue an error on omission?
>
> /--------------
> Generally the device name is in all caps.
>
> What is the penalty if a device attribute does not meet this requirement?
>
> ---<(kaimartin)>---

I really think that we need a more precise definition of attributes. And
we should have some master symbols which include all necessary
attributes used in the correct way, so that user can uses these as
examples.

The problem seems to be that nobody knows. I can remember a discussion
about the "graphical" attribute -- it was not clear if io symbols should
include this.