Re: gEDA-user: Blind and buried vias?

On Sep 25, 2009, at 10:37 AM, Bill Gatliff wrote:

> John Doty wrote:
>> On Sep 25, 2009, at 10:09 AM, Bill Gatliff wrote:
>>

>>> Guys:
>>>

>>> What's the current and planned state of support for blind and/or
>>> buried
>>> vias in the gEDA system?  I got a few questions on that at the
>>> Embedded
>>> Systems Conference earlier this week...
>>>

>> Well, of course that's a problem for the layout tool, so choose a
>> layout tool that supports them. "pcb" is only one of the tools gEDA
>> can export netlists to. Remember, "pcb" is a separate tool, not part
>> of gEDA. Probably very few pcb users capture schematics with anything
>> but gschem, but some (perhaps many) of us use gschem/gnetlist with
>> other back ends.
>>

> Can you suggest a GPL/BSD/equivalent layout tool that can do
> blind/buried vias?

I have no knowledge in this area. My point was merely that this is
not a gEDA limitation: gEDA doesn't even have a "via" concept.

I think it very dangerous to misidentify pcb as part of gEDA, since
gEDA's greatest strength is its ability to play nicely with many
other tools and toolkits.

http://www.noqsi.com/
jpd@xxxxxxxxx