Re: gEDA-user: Push to geda's git directly: promote open hardware development by donating your symbols/footprints

On Sep 25, 2009, at 9:32 AM, John Griessen wrote:

> John Doty wrote:
>> Anybody who blindly uses a library symbol in any EDA tool without
>> checking and tweaking as needed is asking for trouble.
>>
>> What we can have is easily customizable base symbols. And it would
>> help if gschem better supported the import and customization of
>> project symbols.
>
> John reminds me that our current users are self-reliant-craftsman
> types, and newer ones
> will be more the speed-demon-for-rough-output type -- it's a
> generational trendiness thing.

I don't think it's generational at all. Personal temperament is in
play here, but the first rate designer chooses the mode that matches
the problem to be solved. Sometimes I'm working on perfboard, and
sometimes I'm designing ASIC.

> Another top category naming style, (in the tarball distributed
> symbols and footprints), that could
> satisfy the craving for speed is frameworks for workflows  e.g.
> fritzing, KiCAD,
> gEDA-beginner-thru-hole, gEDA-beginner-SMT, gEDA-beginner-wireball,
> etc.

Even a single set is beyond our capability. The second user of such a
set will whine "this isn't the way we do it in industry". The third
user will complain "it's still too complicated for beginners". The
fourth user will complain that the pin numbers of the MMBT3904 don't
match the data sheet. And on it will go...

http://www.noqsi.com/
jpd@xxxxxxxxx