Re: gEDA-user: Push to geda's git directly: promote open hardware development by donating your symbols/footprints

John Doty wrote:
> Anybody who blindly uses a library symbol in any EDA tool without
> checking and tweaking as needed is asking for trouble.
>
> What we can have is easily customizable base symbols. And it would
> help if gschem better supported the import and customization of
> project symbols.

John reminds me that our current users are self-reliant-craftsman types, and newer ones
will be more the speed-demon-for-rough-output type -- it's a generational trendiness thing.
Another top category naming style, (in the tarball distributed symbols and footprints), that could
satisfy the craving for speed is frameworks for workflows  e.g. fritzing, KiCAD,
gEDA-beginner-thru-hole, gEDA-beginner-SMT, gEDA-beginner-wireball, etc.  Such sets of symbols
might satisfy the request for start fast we hear so much.  Footprints are tougher.
Some basic parts available through Digikey would be good though.

John Griessen
(who adds new footprints and many custom symbols to his own libraries each time he does a board)

--
Ecosensory   Austin TX