Re: gEDA-user: Push to geda's git directly: promote open hardware development by donating your symbols/footprints

On Sep 25, 2009, at 5:08 AM, Stefan Salewski wrote:

> On Fri, 2009-09-25 at 12:03 +0200, Chitlesh GOORAH wrote:
>
>> Hello there,
>>
>> We all know that creating symbols and footprints are pretty the
>> boring
>> part of the electronic design.
>>

> Yes.
>
>> So can we all focus on putting all our symbols and footprints into
>> the
>> main geda-symbols tarball ?
>
> Please note: Quality is much more important for footprints and symbols
> than quantity. So there are some people on this list which use/trust
> only their own symbols/footprints.

It isn't just that. *Any* symbol from a library is most likely wrong
for a particular purpose. There are million of components on the
market: we're never going to have "correct" symbols for more than a
tiny fraction of them. Especially as "correct" depends on *your*
design flow.

Anybody who blindly uses a library symbol in any EDA tool without
checking and tweaking as needed is asking for trouble.

What we can have is easily customizable base symbols. And it would
help if gschem better supported the import and customization of
project symbols.

http://www.noqsi.com/
jpd@xxxxxxxxx