Re: gEDA-user: geda 1.4.3, problems with BOM

On Sep 22, 2009, at 11:05 AM, Stefan Salewski wrote:

> On Tue, 2009-09-22 at 15:34 +0000, Kai-Martin Knaak wrote:
>> On Tue, 22 Sep 2009 16:58:08 +0200, Stefan Salewski wrote:
>>
>>> If I
>>> delete in this schematic the Power symbols 502 and 503 and
>>> replace them
>>> with a copy of 501 and renumber manually again to 502 and 503 all
>>> works
>>> fine
>>
>> This description looks like an instance of the problem I tried to
>> resolve
>> in my failed coding effort this summer. With composite components the
>> output of gnetlist depends on the order of symbols in the *.sch
>> file. If
>> you delete power symbols and restore with a copy, you effectively
>> move
>> the power symbol to the bottom of the file.
>>
>> ---<(kaimartin)>---
>
> Thanks -- first it was my impression that I did something wrong, but
> indeed it may only a gnetlist limitation. I think the netlist
> itself is
> fine, this problem concerns only the BOM.
>
> Why did your improvements of gnetlist program failed?
> Only lack of time, or is gnetlist so wired that outsiders have great
> problems to understand it?

I opposed his approach because it only solved a particular symptom of
the general problem, and did so in a way that would just make solving
the general problem harder in the future. I offered to collaborate on
a proper fix: he understands part of the code that needs fixing (in
C), and I understand the other part (in Scheme), but he didn't want
to go that way.

http://www.noqsi.com/
jpd@xxxxxxxxx