Re: gEDA-user: Push to geda's git directly: symbols/footprints

Stefan Salewski wrote:
> Please note: Quality is much more important for footprints and symbols
> than quantity. So there are some people on this list which use/trust
> only their own symbols/footprints.
.
.
.
> And an important task is to find very fine names for footprint and
> symbols -- for me this is the most difficult problem. Names should
> identify and describe the content to make it possible to access it for
> others -- still an textual description may be needed.
>
> I agree that a fine collection of symbols and footprints would be great.
> But putting all in a big basked is not good.

If the symbol repository ran on git, users could just check out tagged releases,
and it could be very good for developing a set of symbols and footprints
that are considered good enough for the tarball.  Users who want no surprises
can use a tagged release, which will only get bug fix changes.  The repository
could hold all the old, less well tested footprints and symbols, allowing the
tarball released ones to be a smaller set, and well tested.

The tarball release needs some different kinds of sections than now.  Instead of
types of parts, it could do more with types of assembly as a top level category set.
For instance, the set (SMT, thru-hole, wire-ball, plug-board, arduino, fritzing).

John Griessen
--
Ecosensory   Austin TX