Re: gEDA-user: Functional blocks and PCB format changes

On Sat, Sep 04, 2010 at 01:37:32AM -0400, DJ Delorie wrote:

> > If we tagged individual objects with rules it would be difficult to edit
> > rules in a systemetic way. So I don't think that's a good way to go.
>
> No, we tag objects with rule *names*.  Hopefully rules can nest, so
> you can have meta-rules like "signal-line-rule" or "12vac rule".
> Without a tag, you'd get synthetic tags like "line-rule" or
> "pin-rule".

But suppose the user creates a rule like, "all traces on Layer 3 must
be at least 5mm apart", and then saves the file and reloads it. Now the
information about what traces are affected is lost, except that all the
traces on Layer 3 are coincedentally tagged with the rule.

What if the user then decides he wants the rule to apply to Layer 4
instead?

Andrew