Re: gEDA-user: Functional blocks and PCB format changes

Andrew Poelstra wrote:
suppose the user creates a rule like, "all traces on Layer 3 must
be at least 5mm apart", and then saves the file and reloads it. Now the
information about what traces are affected is lost, except that all the
traces on Layer 3 are coincedentally tagged with the rule.

What if the user then decides he wants the rule to apply to Layer 4
instead?

I see having attribs define state for the whole board.  If you change your mind,
you would use the same script that you used to select a set of objects, then
delete the unwanted attrib, or overwrite it.  You need to search the whole design
for attribs, since they may have moved along with their object to a new layer...

I can't see a system of tracking how things are applied, just how they are now.
In other words, use GUI and scripts to make selections, then change attribs.
Do the same generic steps to add attribs as to delete.

Which means it would be nice to have a GUI selection by area be well defined
so action commands can refine the selection further.  Right now we have various
selected sets defined, but not sure how general that is.

John