Re: gEDA-user: Functional blocks and PCB format changes

On Fri, Sep 03, 2010 at 09:08:25PM -0700, Andrew Poelstra wrote:
> XML is far too heavy, agreed, and it's signal-to-noise ratio is abysmal.
> I think that using a Lisp (or Lispy-looking) format would be extensible,
> easy to parse, and make the most people happy.

Allow me to toss out JSON.  It is about as light weight as using S-EXP,
but politically it isn't tied down by references to Lisp.  Plus, since
it has become fairly popular, there are good readers/writers for most
languages.

The format is defined at: http://www.json.org/

Basically you are allowed strings, numbers, arrays, and "object", which
would be called a map, an associative array, a dictionary, or something
else along those lines anywhere else.

That isn't to say that JSON is right every where, but I think it is more
frequently the correct choice than XML is.