Re: gEDA-user: Functional blocks and PCB format changes

On Sat, Sep 04, 2010 at 12:17:15PM -0400, DJ Delorie wrote:

> > But suppose the user creates a rule like, "all traces on Layer 3 must
> > be at least 5mm apart", and then saves the file and reloads it. Now the
> > information about what traces are affected is lost, except that all the
> > traces on Layer 3 are coincedentally tagged with the rule.
> >
> > What if the user then decides he wants the rule to apply to Layer 4
> > instead?
>
> In that specific case, we could apply rules to layers as well as
> objects, but I see your point.
>
> Unfortunately, the math behind DRC is expensive, so generalizing the
> rules needs to mesh well with doing the math only once.

I'm not sure that storing DRC rules as filters (rather than tagging
data) would slow things down significantly. Internally, we could still
maintain a tag structure. We would need to keep it in sync when adding
or removing components or rules, of course, and when loading .pcb files.

But when running the DRC, there would be no cost to storing the rules
this way.

Andrew