Re: gEDA-user: Functional blocks and PCB format changes

On Sun, Sep 05, 2010 at 03:00:45AM +0200, kai-martin knaak wrote:
> Andrew Poelstra wrote:
>
> > The point is that we can't be sure what the future will bring in terms
> > of IOPS, storage capacity (even big servers often RAID together dozens
> > of small drives to get high speeds against low capacity).
>
> This kind of argument goes against any change. geda development
> already almost grind to halt because of it.

> > Plus, even if individual file bloat is something we can ignore, what
> > happens when you have thousands or millions of files in source control
> > or in backups?
>
> How would XML lead to millions of files?

XML brings with it an enormous cost in terms of file size and parsing speed.
There will be millions of files regardless. But with a million files, every
kilobyte of bloat becomes a gigabyte of bloat.

We could use a zipped-XML format and avoid the filesize problems, but then
we make script-parsability a lot harder.

Actually, using any whitespace-independent format makes script-parsability
harder, since tools such as grep or sed treat newlines specially. Also,
comments are harder to insert.

Andrew