Re: gEDA-user: Functional blocks and PCB format changes

Andrew Poelstra wrote:

> The point is that we can't be sure what the future will bring in terms
> of IOPS, storage capacity (even big servers often RAID together dozens
> of small drives to get high speeds against low capacity).

This kind of argument goes against any change. geda development
already almost grind to halt because of it.

> Plus, even if individual file bloat is something we can ignore, what
> happens when you have thousands or millions of files in source control
> or in backups?

How would XML lead to millions of files?

> The problem is that there /isn't/ a useful "industry standard format".

Like it or not, XML _is_ an industry standard. A standard for highly
structured data formats. There is a reason why it is adopted by so
many projects. The availability of well tested parser code is just
one of them.

> If one appears, there is no guarantee that it will be long-lived or
> widely-adopted.

XML is a good candidate for both. It already enjoys wide spread
adoption. Many of them with high profile like SVG, DocBook, or
OpenStreetMap. See
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_XML_markup_languages

> Better we have a file format that works well for what
> we want to do, and use exporters for compatibility.

This does not preclude XML. XML is not a format by itself,
but just a framework of rules to define a format. If there
are features that are too heavy for your taste, just don't
use them in your specific instance of XML conform format.

---<)kaimartin(>---
--
Kai-Martin Knaak
Öffentlicher PGP-Schlüssel: