Re: gEDA-user: Functional blocks and PCB format changes

Hi Rick,

IMHO, the "problem" with XML lies not in the bloat, even a factor 10 larger
would be acceptable, it's the <$TAGS> that have to be identical across all
applications to have a "truly" exchangable XML file.

I think that for an exchangable format for schematic capture, pcb layout
__and__ 3D mechanical CAD stuff the "problem" is waaay to big to grasp in a
forthnight and DIY.

And there happens to be a standard of sorts which does just that, named IDF,
some of the large commercial CAD vendors play this game already.

In this playfield design files with 1MB < size < 10MB is not that uncommon
these days.

Welcome in "Utopia" mate ;-)

Have a look at:

http://www.simplifiedsolutionsinc.com/images/idf_v40_overview.pdf