Re: gEDA-user: Functional blocks and PCB format changes

On Sat, Sep 04, 2010 at 07:49:06PM -0700, Steven Michalske wrote:

> This is why I use yaml to store data.  It was designed to be human
> readable. It holds most high level data structures.  And is very
> low bloat.  You can tag the yam code to say that this is a particular
> data structure, like a footprint or via
>
> It allows for references. So all vias of a type could point to the
> same data and then we only would have to change one data structure
> to change all of the vias with the same tag.
>
> There is a c library libyaml.
>
> And many other languages have libraries,  perl python ruby and many
> more.  Although I did not see an official lisp library.

I've glanced through the YAML wikipedia page and it looks pretty good.
I'd vote for it, anyway.

> But before we pick a file format we need to decide what we want to
> store. And then choosing how we want to store it.

I'm not sure this is true. We know what we need to store in a vague
sense - traces and components, footprints and layers, DRC rules and
netlists. Any decently-extensible language should let us add things
as needed.

Andrew