Re: gEDA-user: next PCB release - 1.99za vs 4.0

On 09/07/2010 04:49 PM, Link wrote:

Some things I regard as quite important:

* Variable-angle arcs. 90 degrees is extremely limiting. gschem does
this right.

* Filled circles, sans kludge. :)
If you think in terms of gerber output history, everything's a kludge, so I'd lower this priority...

* Having all shapes that are supported for traces supported for
footprint copper (arcs, polygons, circles, etcetera).
This can be filed under subcells.   People are thinking about it, but it's not easily done right.

* Unification of shortcuts in gschem and PCB, or at least an easy option
for PCB to mimic gschem's shortcuts.

There is an easy way to mimic gschem's shortcuts.  Send me some tip money and I'll write it sooner.
And since I know how to do it and can write, maybe the result will be that pcb ships with it default.

* Better support for free-rotated components: assert that pads at funky
angles are rendered correctly, fix autorouter for components at weird
angles (the latest git version has a tendency to either ignore the route
command or to segfault, depending on the specifics), add rotation to the
ctrl-R report, etcetera.

Hey! sounds like you're getting more mileage than me with autorouting.
I'll swap you write ups instead of begging for tip money...but page for page,
paragraph for paragraph, published for all the world to see.

* Ability to copy a footprint's name from the library dialogue (so it
can be pasted into gschem's attribute list).

Sounds nice -- could come from DJ upgrading GTK functionality.

* Ability to edit netlist in-situ (possibly by drawing on the rat lines
layer) - e.g, when you want to add a heatsink soldered to ground, it
will always show up as shorted until the netlist is edited to
incorporate it.

Umm... that sounds so easy to work around you'll have to code it yourself...

* Last but not least, blind and buried vias. It's big, reasonably
important, and has been on people's wish lists for years.

Sure.

And the category "nice to have but mostly unnecessary":

More code-it-yourself...

John