Re: gEDA-user: PCB format wishlist

>I don't think the copper shape / masking / clearance of the via is
>necessarily primitive. Granted, in 99.9% of cases it can be described by
>circular copper geometry on each connected layer, but support for
>arbitrary pad-stacks for components might as well extend to arbitrary
>via geometry.

>I'm pretty sure most holes in PCBs are round, but then some connectors
>have rectangular cut-outs (probably routed), but possibly stamped /
>reamed out.

   A few years ago, I worked at a company that made flexible PCBs on
   Polyamide (two external copper layers on a thin plastic).  This process
   was performed by taking 1000+ ft rolls and advancing it through a
   mechanical press/die that would create all of the vias at once (for a
   single artwork image).  While round pins were preferred, you could
   switch to any geometry you wanted.  When you consider the possibilities
   of laser drilled vias, any geometry IS possible (although not
   necessarily practical).

   Andy Miner