Re: gEDA-user: Functional blocks and PCB format changes

On Sep 13, 2010, at 9:26 AM, Ouabache Designworks wrote:

>     On Fri, Sep 03, 2010 at 09:08:25PM -0700, Andrew Poelstra wrote:
>> XML is far too heavy, agreed, and it's signal-to-noise ratio is
>     abysmal.
>
>   True on both counts and you would never want to handcraft a xml
>   document.

Why? I'd much rather handwrite XML than YAML.
And I'd certainly prefer it to the existing file formats, which I can barely edit without looking up the meaning of each position.

I'm not sure that I see a good reason for the hatred of XML.  I've never found the size of Inkscape documents to be absurd, for example, and the fact that python and other languages can manipulate it so easily is definitely a plus.