Re: gEDA-user: Functional blocks and PCB format changes

On Sep 13, 2010, at 11:23 AM, Windell H. Oskay wrote:

> I'm not sure that I see a good reason for the hatred of XML.

As one sysadmin I know put it, it allows the data representation to be as ugly as you can imagine.

>  I've never found the size of Inkscape documents to be absurd, for example, and the fact that python and other languages can manipulate it so easily is definitely a plus.

But Python and other languages can just as easily manipulate line-oriented formats, while some very important tools like awk and sed cannot handle HTML.

The gschem format is as expressive as HTML, but having the braces stand alone on separate lines makes the structure easier to parse with simple tools. Simple is good.

http://www.noqsi.com/
jpd@xxxxxxxxx