Re: gEDA-user: Functional blocks and PCB format changes

On Sep 13, 2010, at 5:39 PM, DJ Delorie wrote:

>> Widely used, classic, useful tools then.
>
> XML is easily parsed with Perl.  It's more widely used than awk or
> sed, and far more useful.

And far more of a conceptual mess. But regardless of personal preference, why not embrace the whole available tookit? Line-oriented formats don't prevent you from using Perl. Gschem's format is a fine example of a format that has short, concise documentation, is easy to parse, and is fundamentally as expressive as XML.

> "Classic" is not a point in your favor here.

When Larry Wall learns to write as clearly as Brian Kernighan, I'll agree.

http://www.noqsi.com/
jpd@xxxxxxxxx