Re: gEDA-user: Cutouts

On Wed, Sep 29, 2010 at 6:51 PM, Rick Collins <gnuarm.2006@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I'm not sure what to make of this part.  If this is the only info you have
> on this part, I wouldn't use it until I get one in hand.  It looks to me
> like this is intended for the body of the part to sit in the plane of the
> board with pins along the edges.  Notice the drawing shows the edge of the
> PCB being cut back for the part.  The three pins have two outlines, an inner
> and an outer one (I've got no idea what that means).  The two rectangles at
> the top look like surface mount tabs to me.  That is a very strange way to
> mount a part, especially in the center of the board.  Is that what you see?
>
> I think this drawing can only be properly interpreted if you have a clear
> idea of what the part looks like.
>
> Rick

Agree with everything Rick says.

regarding square / nonstandard holes, your best bet is to talk to the
PCb vendor and ask how they would prefer you to spec the holes.
Plating slots is an extra-cost option (and an extra processing step)
so you will be using a full-service board house rather than a cheap
prototype shop.

Regards,
Mark
markrages@gmail