Re: gEDA-user: Cutouts

You are a little shy of providing info. It is an STX-35398A part and is a very odd critter. But I understand it now. The drawing you provided has inaccuracies in it. They appear to show the cutout pushing to the rectangular pins. In believe in reality they only require a single rectangular cutout from the edge of the board, 6.3 mm wide. They don't indicate how deep this needs to be, but you can figure that out for yourself. The rectangular pins seem to be inserted into oblong holes and pads. The hole is 0.5 mm wide (~20 mil) and so might not be routed without difficulty. You need to ask your fab house if they can do that. As to drawing the artwork in PCB, I can't help you with that. In FreePCB this would not be at all hard. The outline is supported as its own layer and can include cutouts, angled sides and even curved edges. The oblong pads could be created by specifying a rounded rectangle with corner radii equal to half the short side. I'm not sure how the oblong holes would be specified since they can't be drilled. I expect routed holes would need to be added to the outline layer.

One thing I'd like to clarify. You talk about this jack that "mounts in the middle of the circuit board". Rather than mounting in the middle of the board in an X/Y direction sense, I now realize you are saying it mounts in a hole in the board rather than on top of the board. This part by necessity has to mount on an edge of the board and not in the center. Right? If you put it in the center of the board, there is no way to put the plug in.

Rick

At 08:23 PM 9/29/2010, you wrote:
Yes it's supposed to mount there. I need to know how to make the cutout for it to sit in place. I can get you a link for the PDF. As I said I'm confined for space. It's a kycon stx-35398...