Re: gEDA-user: test repo

> If additional filtering is desired: One of the "core developers"

Again, we just don't have enough "core developers" to add any burden
to them.  We need options that *reduce* the load on developers, to
encourage more participation.

> This wouldn't neceessarily have to be a developer. He or she just
> has to be familiar with git and the build tools in general.

If they have commit access to the master git, they need to be a
developer.  That's kind of our definition of "developer" - you need to
know enough about what's going on, to make smart choices about which
patches to pull.

> The difficult task is to determine, when a patch has seen enough
> testing.

This is the case whether we have a testing repo or not.

> But then again -- Currently, most patches are applied directly to
> git-head with no intermediate test repo.

As I said before, that's our procedure - git head *is* our testing
repo.

> There would be a freeze period, during whitch only bug fixes but no
> new features are applied to the test-repo.

We can already do that with git head, and often do when a release is
in the near future.

> A fixed calendar would help. I'd say two months of patching followed
> by a month of freeze would be fine.

A fixed calendar won't work as we don't have dedicated developers.
Our roadmap is to decide on a minimum set of features and bugfixes we
want in the next release, and whatever else gets in during that too.
For the next PCB release, my goals are the nanometer work and a
working windows port.  We're close.  Meanwhile, P&A are working on
modernizing the GTK gui, and some other things are getting attention.

> A mini-release could be offered as a package ready to install on the
> servers. This might draw more users into the testing boat. --> More
> eyes, more bugs spotted, more quality.

I don't mind releasing PCB more often than we do, but development just
isn't that quick.  *This* release was supposed to happen last
November.