Re: gEDA-user: "revert" vs "reload"

On Mon, 2011-09-05 at 21:40 +0100, Richard Barlow wrote:

> > Sorry Richard - I beat you to it - committed to git HEAD of PCB last
> > night ;) I bumped PCB's GTK version requirement to 2.18.
>
> Haha, nice. I suspected you were working on this after seeing your
> commits cleaning up gui-top-window.c. I see you've made a load more
> modifications today bringing the code up to date, nice work.

Yes - mostly taking advantage of the GTK 2.18 version bump to get rid of
some deprecated APIs and other issues. (One day we'll be able to compile
with GTK 3.0d!)

> I've made a couple of small modifications to the message that's
> displayed to the user in the info bar[1].

Note that if you hit the revert button, and PCB will still prompt you
for further confirmation if you had unsaved changes.

I deliberately copied the message text straight from gedit in order to
try and keep it consistent with the rest of the desktop, but I'm not
completely against changing it, so long as the new message still fits on
the small-ish screens without undue wrapping/

> It would also be good if when reloading/reverting the file the state of the UI wasn't reset too, it's
> quite annoying for all of the layers to be re-enabled if you're in the
> middle of routing. I'll look into that later.

That would be handy.

Looking at where I hooked up my code, I have hooked it up in a stupid
place - the file monitoring is cancelled and re-wired every time PCB
handles a menu action!

It probably needs to hook up so it is only called upon the PCBChanged"
action.

We could consider splitting that action into "PCBChanged" and
"PCBReverted" actions (or add arguments to the former), so the GUI can
do different levels of UI resetting for load and revert.

> > > I'm also planning on implementing the same behavior in gschem which
> > > currently depends on GTK 2.10.
> > Please feel free to take any of the code I wrote to help you on the way
> > with a gschem / gattrib version. I would love to see this consistently
> > across the tools, yet didn't have time to do the gEDA parts at the
> > moment.
>
> Cool, thanks.

I asked Ales and DJ on IRC earlier, and we have a consensus that bumping
the version requirement to GTK 2.18 is OK.

--
Peter Clifton

Electrical Engineering Division,
Engineering Department,