Re: gEDA-user: Speaker SPICE modeling with gschem and ng-spice/gnucap

On Mon, Sep 12, 2011 at 2:09 PM, Hannu Vuolasaho <vuokko@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi!
>
> I have been playing with one guitar amplifier project for a while and so far the amplifier design has been more or less copy and paste and simulate and guess from graphs. However I bumped in net this blog post
>
> http://nordicnerd.blogspot.com/2011/08/active-speakers-spice-with-actual-audio.html
>
> Is it possible to do same thing? Input wav to simulator and get speaker's output and hear it? I know it's not perfect but it could be very helpful. Has someone done this before and provide some hints, examples or links?

Output is really easy to get from ngspice in the form of a raw file.
There are some python modules out there that do a good job of reading
this. As far as input, I see two options. One is to embed a pwl (piece
wise linear) b source (or xspice source for more smoothing) into your
circuit. You'd want to make a script that would read in the the wav
data, and output a pwl.

Your other option would be to use a digital source, which can also
read from a file but you'd get digital data for which you'd need to
build a dac (possible out of xspice dacs).

In either case, You'd probably need some additional elements to remove
the high frequency artifacts from the signal and to give it the
appropriate impedance.

For the most part though, I would just run through a number of
different frequency sine waveforms and see what kind of distortion you
get.