Re: gEDA-user: howto toporoute?

Rubén Gómez Antolí wrote:

> Webarchive has a copy at 13 Septembre, 2010. I hope it helps:
>
> http://web.archive.org/web/20100913034623/http://anthonix.resnet.scms.waikato.ac.nz/toporouter/

Thanks.
Unfortunately, the site contains nothing about usage and parameters. However,
I found by trial and error that this sort of works:
    toporouter(selected)
It only sort of works, because autorouting of a single trace takes just about
as long as routing the whole layout. This does not matter for very small projects
But it becomes prohibitive for medium size. The project I was aiming at, contains
388 pads with generous amount of space between the components. A call of
toporouter for a single connection took about twelf minutes during which the
application did not respond to anything. One core of my quad core desktop was
100% under steam. Ten connections needed about the same time. The whole layout
took about an hour before it crashed with segfault. This was with PCB v20100929.
(The toporouter is currently broken in git-head, because of the mil to nanometer
conversion.)

Seems like the toporouter would need more than just GUI integration and user
accessible parameters to become a viable option. :-|

---<)kaiamrtin(>---
--
Kai-Martin Knaak                                  tel: +49-511-762-2895
Universität Hannover, Inst. für Quantenoptik      fax: +49-511-762-2211