Re: gEDA-user: help with pcb dsn plugin

On Fri, 2011-09-16 at 11:58 -0700, Jared Casper wrote:

> -- extensive style changes for my own sanity. There was inconsistent
> style throughout (like all of pcb's code), so I chose the one I
> personally like best (linux kernel style with indent of 4 instead of
> 8). :)

PCB mostly has a consistent style, and we won't apply patches which
don't follow that.

Two space indents,

if (test)
  {
    statements (like, this);
  }
else
  {
    even_if_they_ARE_horrid ();
  }

A lot of the code then substitutes 8 spaces for a tab character (at the
beginnings of lines), but that is just the work of the devil IMO ;).

> -- Brought all the handling of coordinates up to date with the new
> Coord type and nm precision. There were a few places where dimensions
> were being rounded to the nearest mil, etc. which would've been bad
> for metric based boards. This has all been taken care of and appears
> to be working in some simple tests. DSN files are now in mm units with
> nm precision.

Nice.

> -- Removed the somewhat dubious code for finding the rotation of the
> part copied over from bom.c. We don't have the original footprint
> anyway, so the rotation was not being used. The code is still there in
> bom.c if it is needed in the future.

Good idea.

[snip]

> Some things still not quite handled:
>
> -- Existing polygons on the pcb don't make it into the dsn.

If you need any pointers on that, give me a shout.

> -- As noted in the bug report, there is no copyright/license notice
> from the original authors.  Maybe some legal issues with the Specctra
> file format as well (I doubt it though, the text-based file format
> would be trivial to reverse-engineer even without  the spec).

You might need to try and contact the original author, but I'd
personally not worry about implementing compatibility with the
file-format. The only issue we might have is what we call it - Specctra
might be a trademarked name.

> -- Probably some other stuff.
>
> It appears to be working with some early tests, and freerouting.net is
> pretty awesome.

Great!

Best wishes,

--