Re: gEDA-user: help with pcb dsn plugin

Hi all,

This is the next patch on my todo list.

Is the above the exact syntax ?

> A lot of the code then substitutes 8 spaces for a tab
> character (at the beginnings of lines), but that is just the
> work of the devil IMO ;).
>
> > -- Brought all the handling of coordinates up to date with the new
> > Coord type and nm precision. There were a few places where
> dimensions
> > were being rounded to the nearest mil, etc. which would've been bad
> > for metric based boards. This has all been taken care of
> and appears
> > to be working in some simple tests. DSN files are now in mm
> units with
> > nm precision.
>
> Nice.
>
> > -- Removed the somewhat dubious code for finding the
> rotation of the
> > part copied over from bom.c. We don't have the original footprint
> > anyway, so the rotation was not being used. The code is
> still there in
> > bom.c if it is needed in the future.
>
> Good idea.
>
> [snip]
>
> > Some things still not quite handled:
> >
> > -- Existing polygons on the pcb don't make it into the dsn.
>
> If you need any pointers on that, give me a shout.
>
> > -- As noted in the bug report, there is no copyright/license notice
> > from the original authors.  Maybe some legal issues with
> the Specctra
> > file format as well (I doubt it though, the text-based file format
> > would be trivial to reverse-engineer even without  the spec).
>
> You might need to try and contact the original author, but
> I'd personally not worry about implementing compatibility
> with the file-format. The only issue we might have is what we
> call it - Specctra might be a trademarked name.

I contacted Josh Jordan (PM), see the copyright notice and license stanza in
patch 0003 on LP.

> > -- Probably some other stuff.
> >
> > It appears to be working with some early tests, and
> freerouting.net is
> > pretty awesome.

I still have issues with examples/LED.pcb getting imported without tweaking,
the dsn exporter should work straight "out-of-the-box" without massaging
quotes and other tweaks.

> Great!
>
> Best wishes,
>
> --
> Peter Clifton
>
> Electrical Engineering Division,
> Engineering Department,
> University of Cambridge,
> 9, JJ Thomson Avenue,
> Cambridge
> CB3 0FA
>
> Tel: +44 (0)7729 980173 - (No signal in the lab!)
> Tel: +44 (0)1223 748328 - (Shared lab phone, ask for me)

Kind regards,

Bert Timmerman.