Re: [gftp] Feature Request: IP "spoof"

On Wed, 2004-07-07 at 15:38, Brian Masney wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 07, 2004 at 03:36:48PM -0400, Tracer Bullet wrote:
> > Would it be possible to add a feature that allows the user to maunually
> > specify the IP the client uses when sending the PORT command?  Possibly
> > a manual port range to use as well?  This would be useful to clients
> > behind NAT connecting to servers behind poorly configured NAT.  The user
> > could forward the proper ports in his/her NAT setup, and then have gFTP
> > send the public IP with the PORT command.
>
> If you enable Passive File transfers, the PASV command will be sent instead of
> PORT and the remote server will open a port for the FTP client to connect to.

Sure, but in a server that is misconfigured or a server behind
misconfigured NAT will reply to the PASV command with its internal IP
rather than its public IP.  You'd think it would be rare, but I'm
finding it more and more common.  The IP bind would be somewhat of a
workaround.

--
Cheers,
Trace

Life is full of surprises but never when you need one. -- Calvin