Re: Newbie Idea

Brian Wiens

You have been doing much better than me in explaining what a newbie's
interests are. A windoze box that will not break, easy to set up with a GUI,
easy to connect to ones ISP, and have a few programs one uses for whatever,
writing or graphics. Most users, the lowly plug and play type, which are
over 80% of the computer users, want the computer to work for what they want
it to do, they find that out after they have had one for a while because
most buy one not knowing why or what they are going to use it for. Trendy, I
suppose. Most do not do any poking around in the innards much less know what
kind of video card they have inside.

I know it is not going to be easy to convert them to Linux, too damn hard,
haven't the time or the curiosity to use a better operating system than what
they have been told works fine and have seen all the programs available for
what they have purchased.

Is there a solution to make it simple by dropping many of the files included
in the distributions? Should networking software be omitted or worked around
to make it simple?

I am still trying to figure out the filing system, what I need and do not
need.

Just more newbie musings.

Bud