Re: Newbie needs cheap cds

jfm2@club-internet.fr wrote:

> > > Last Christmas after being unable to find a recent scanner supported
> > > in Linux I bought a 10G IBM hard disk for 200$.  That is depite 20%
> >
> > What about the SCSI UMAX scanners ?
>
> The supported models looked pretty old and in addition there were many
> unsupported features.

I use the UMAX Astra 1200S, not brand new but not ancient. I bought it
specifically because it was supported by SANE, knowing full well that the
Windows drivers wouldn't work right (they didn't, in fact Windows crashes
so hard it won't even run when they are installed). Everything I was able
to do in Windows (while it worked) I can do in Linux with the Gimp plug-in
for SANE. Granted, the interface isn't quite so pretty, but it is
remarkably stable, which is far more than I can say for the Windows
drivers, and it does everything I've asked of it so far.

While we are on the topic, is there any OCR software out there for Linux?
It's the only piece I need to completely replace the software that came
with the scanner.

Vince Veselosky

--
Control-Escape: Alternative Software
Linux help for beginners to advanced users.