Re: cron for home users

> Date: Fri, 28 Aug 1998 22:32:57 -0300 (GMT-0300)
> From: Roberto Alsina <ralsina@unl.edu.ar>
> Sender: owner-independence-l@independence.seul.org
>
> On Fri, 28 Aug 1998, Donovan Rebbechi wrote:
>
> > On Fri, 28 Aug 1998, Roberto Alsina wrote:
> >

> > > I think long ago there was a discussion about cron, specifically about
> > > cron "catching up" to jobs due when the computer was off.
> >
> > this is a big one indeed. Actually, I don't see a hc cron though. I see
> > anacron and ucrond.
>
> I took the name from freshmeat... maybe the link is bad and it's still in
> Incoming?
>
> > anacron: "replacement for cron which doesn't require the system to be up
> > 24/7"
> >
> > ucrond: from lsm: " ... mainly intended for systems that are frequently
> > down " any chance of a win95/NT port ? (-:

According to Slashdot Microsoft "lost" part of the sources of
Windows95 so the copy they handled to the judge was incomplete.  Seems
they have problems with version control and backups.  ;-) I guess a
pair of handshackles put on the wrists of the right persons would have
a magic effect on the magnetic oxids of Microsoft's disks and tapes.

> > "Starts commands after reboot if necessary and allows to specify commands
> > relative to system uptime "
>
> So any of them will do :-)

I downloaded it yesterday.  I knew about anacron but was not
convinced about it.  Don't know about ucron.

One of the required fetaures is the cron replacement caring about load
before starting jobs (you don't want them starting just when you are
recompiling your libc) and nicing them.  At least for "catch-up"
tasks.

However I don't think it would be too difficult to get it implemented.

--
			Jean Francois Martinez

http://www.independence.seul.org