Re: Install stopper.

> Ok. I think I'm synced up with the Indy site plus Red Hat errata.
> This includes the 4 FEB 99 uploads with the new hdlist.
>
> I also used the Indy disk images this time, since there are some now.
>
> Installation results:
> The good news is not much worse happened.
> The bad  news is not much improved, either.
>
> I'll just use my last report as a template:
>
> > ------------------
> > Phase 1, before reboot:
> >
> > Screen: "comps Error"
> > Errors:
>   package XFree86-devel at line 1400 does not exist
>                                 1628

Is this the only one, or are they more?  I simply cannot download
everything with my 33600 modem so for big updates like XFree 3.3 I
have to work by "telepathy".

> > (Note: the above is a condensed version of the error messages.)
> >
> > ------------------
> > Phase 2, during reboot from boot floppy written in Phase 1.:
>
> Forgot this before, but still a problem:
> The Red Hat/Indy boot/supp disks read in fast (30 seconds?),
> but the reboot disk (written during Phase 1)
> takes about 5 minutes to be read.
>

> The boot/supp disks and reboot disk should all read in
> just as fast, not some fast and the other slow (~5 min.)
>
> This _must_ be fixed.

The rescue disk?  Don't know I never needed it and it is untouched
from RedHat.  Only reason to do it would be for removing copyright
messages.

But each one is a different case: Boot disk is read by syslinux.  Supp
disk is read by linux itself.  Rescue disk is read by LILO using Bios
and some biosses are agonizingly slow at this.

> -----------------
> Also, please remove the LILO timeout.
>
> It's very hard to hunt-n-peck "l i n u x S" or whatever, during reboot
> when the keyboard isn't yet configured (I use dvorak-r) and LILO then
> decides to take off without waiting for us to finish typing first.

But why were you rebooting single user?

> ---------------------
>
> > Last message on screen I saw said something about "Appletalk".
> >
> > Then screen scrambled with "Usage: route ..." junk at various places
> > all over the screen.

This is linuxconf who is called in the last phase of the boot to set
some networking things.  But it tries to identify the distrib in order
to know what mechanisms to use.  I will rebuild it first thing.

> > Pressed CTRL-ALT-DEL. That worked.
>
> No change.
>
> I repeat: _No change._
> -----------------
>
> I did reboot with "linux S" which got to "bash#" ok.
>
> -----------------------------
> Then I tried "linuxconf" (a newbie would never know about this).
> Linuxconf kept saying,
> "Error: Can't read file /etc/redhat-release
> No such file or directory."

Until I upload a fixed linuxconf do a

ln -s Independence-release /etc/redhat-release (I dont remember if it
is Independence or independence

> So I couldn't do anything with linuxconf.

> > With Debian 2.0 booted I checked my Indy partition.
> >
> > I happened to notice /var/lock had permissions of 775 and ownership of
> > root.00000014.

root.uucp.  Normal in redhat and clones.

> No change.
>

> > Nothing obvious in /var/log or /tmp files.
>
> No change.

> > Anyone have similar experiences?
> >
> > Anyone have explanations?
> >
> > Anyone have fixes?
>
> There were a couple more bugs, but I'll let you work on all these
> first.

Still more.  :-(