Re: X keyboard mapping.

> > On 8 Feb 1999 jfm2@club-internet.fr wrote:
>
> > > But did you get the right keybopard mapping?
> >
> > No. I did not try to figure out a workaround for this problem.
> >
> > The installation already has a dialog box asking us to choose our
> > preferred keyboard mapping.
> > Yet X didn't "get" it.
>
> Date: 8 Feb 1999 21:26:10 -0000
> From: jfm2@club-internet.fr
>
> > > Xconfigurator 3.89 asked me lots of questions.
> > > ** But, not about keyboard mapping or screen size in pixels.
>
> > > 1. X/KDE did not detect/ask/autoconfigure the keyboard mapping
>
> > I have a french keyboard.  When I type "a" and the keyboard is
> > unconfigured Linux (and X) will display a "q".  But when I rebooted,
> > started X and typed "a", guess what it displayed?  "a".
>
> > So Xconfigurator managed to extract the info from the kernel or of the
> > keyboard config files and doesn't need to ask the user.  At least for
> > non-US, non-dvorak keyboards.
>
> So, since I selected "dvorak-r" during the installation dialog, why don't
> XConfigurator, XF86Setup and X change that XF86Config file entry to
> reflect my selection made during that installation dialog?
>
> This is different from Jean's testing experience, apparently.

Now I understand.  I looked at Xconfigurator source and it looks in
RedHat's keyboard config file and it maps its contents to an X config
definition.  So it will correctly map "fr", "fr-latin1" (french
keyboards) or "dvorak".  But 5.2 introduced some keyboard types I
never saw before like "fr-latin0", "dvorak-r" and another
dvorak-something I don't remember.  These are unknown by Xconfigurator
so it defults to the US keyboard.  This is a bug

I could fix it (but this would mean still more delays) and in addition
the fix would be only in Indy.  Could you report the bug to RedHat
(they are the authors of Xconfigurator)?  This would mean the fix
would be in next RedHat and in every clone or improved clone of it in
the world.  This would benefit more Linux users.

--
			Jean Francois Martinez

http://www.independence.seul.org