X, screen sizing.

On Mon, 8 Feb 1999, Donovan Rebbechi wrote:

> On 8 Feb 1999 jfm2@club-internet.fr wrote:
>
> > Xconfigurator should not use Virtual Screen sizes bigger than real
> > resolution without asking but I am not the author and don't have time
> > to fix it.  It is not impossible that TurboLinux or Mandrake have a
> > modified Xconfigurator with this feature disabled.  Because
>
> it would be simple enough to write a two line hack perl script that fixes
> the config file ( just remove all "Virtual" lines ). The ideal solution
> would be to edit the source and remove the code that writes the "Virtual"
> lines. Meanwhile, there is a hack solution available ...
>
> perl -npe 's/(Virtual\s*[0-9]*\s*[0-9]*)/#\1' /etc/X11/XF86Config \
> 	> /etc/X11/XF86Config.new
>
> This just comments out virtual lines ...
>
> cheers,
>
> -- Donovan

(All my X is/has been 3.3.3.1 from RH 5.2 errata, remember.
Jean, I think, forgot, even though I kept noting that fact.
But he's busy so I can understand.)

I played with XF86Config a bit:
"
# Screen sections
# The 16-color VGA server
"

I changed Modes and Virtual to:
"
	Modes 		"640x480"
	Virtual 	 640 480
"

This results in satisfactory operation for me.

I haven't tried Donovan's idea of just commenting out the Virtual line and
leaving the Mode line unchanged from the stock version. Perhaps when Jean
finishes his distribution uploads I can reinstall and try it.

Eddie Maddox
emaddox@sihope.com