Re: added news

> Hi,
>
> I thought that it would be nice to have an off-list "what's happening"
> point, where a developer could quickly (re-)read the status, like
> deadlines, etc.: all the things he needs to make his schedule. So I
> added a news page to our website.
>
> I know that this is somewhat unnecessary because the core team is small
> and communicates well, but I just like overviews, and I thought that
> this could help someone not being so "core" (me =) to help a hand in a
> synchronized way (e.g. to get a Squeak RPM before we actually release
> =).
>
> Maintenance works about the same as with the "distribution" part: if you
> have a valuable piece of information, drop it on the mailing list and
> mark it as "news", then I'll pick it up.

I posted a description of the Indy specific software some days ago.

> Off course I shall see what I can pick up from the list myself too, but
> I am sometimes really too stupid (or loosely involved?) to see what's
> interesting for the "distribution" and "news" parts, so if you mark it
> as such, I will notice it anyway.
>
> Final question: when will we have a new release, how strict is the time
> schedule, and can all this become public information? (If it is not yet
> public info, so not meant for news, it will still be useful for my
> Squeak negotiations anyway. I just don't know where to set a deadline
> for it. But re-reading the news I saw that our deadline would be on Feb
> 1, so I thought it was about time to hurry it up.)

ASAP.  Problems is that I am ever tempted to add a nice little feature
or program so we really need voluntaristic deadlines in the feature
("release early and _often_" according to the Cathedral and the
Bazar)

At the very least I want by Feb 1st we are ready enough to make an
announce and make noise on freshmeat and similar places about the
project.  For now we are far outnumbered by the bug guys and they have
far more time than us so we will lose if we don't get Indy being
regarded as something differnt: the Linux of the users.

--
		Jean François Martinez

Project Independence: Linux for the masses
http://independence.seul.org