Re: target system for libc5

> In message <199808010048.RAA01114@chaucer.ece.ucsb.edu>, sjl@chaucer.ece.ucsb.edu writes:
> >RedHat 4.2 ships with libc.so.5.3.12, which is not what Roger has been using.
>
> I beg to differ.
>
> [root@belegost i386]# rpm -q -a|grep libc
> libc-profile-5.3.12-18.2
> libc-debug-5.3.12-18.2
> libc-static-5.3.12-18.2
> libc-5.3.12-18.2
> libc-devel-5.3.12-18.2
>
> I specifically tried to get things working without resorting to using
> libc 5.4, because then it wouldn't work with Redhat 4.2, at least as I
> know it.
>
> What makes you think I used libc5.4?
>
> --Roger
Well, this is rather odd...
What made me think it was what I mentioned in my last mail:

| Mostly it seems to be compatible, but there was a problem in using the gtk
| package - libgdk library uses the _IO_getc symbol which is not present until
| version 5.4 .
That was specifically a complaint I got from linking with libgdk, which
happened to use getc whereas the other gtk libraries didn't happen to.
I compared 5.4 with 5.3.13, and found that both have _IO_ungetc but
only the later one had _IO_getc. Thus I jumped to my conclusion that
you were using a later version.

I think Donovan also ran into this linking problem... Do you suppose this
was a bug that got fixed between our RH4.2 libc-5.3.12-17 and your
libc-5.3.12-18.2 ?

I dunno what else to make of it..

                              S. Lockwood
                         sjl@zorbas.ece.ucsb.edu