Re: fonts, autofs and things

> Date: Thu, 10 Jun 1999 17:15:13 -0400 (EDT)
> From: Donovan Rebbechi <elflord@pegasus.rutgers.edu>
> Sender: owner-independence-l@independence.seul.org
>
> On Thu, 10 Jun 1999, JF Martinez wrote:
>
> [ snip ]
>
> How hard would it be to auto-detect the true type fonts in a users windows
> partition ? if they have it mounted, you'd just need to find their windows
> directory. The winfonts are in $windows/fonts

Look in lilo.conf for the main windows partition.  Then force the
mounting of the windows partition and add the path to the font server
with chkfontpath (/mnt/dos/windows/fonts).

> This would be a really nice touch.

Yes.  But will it be possible to implement it in 0.2?  You cannot do
it in an RPM script because when autofs is installed the lilo.conf still
does not exist so it would be needed to modify the installation.

> Another point: we should make an autofs that works out of the box, and
> have the floppy on /floppy , and the cdrom on /cdrom.

That is the thing I had forgotten when telling about what I did today:
I made an autofs who works out of the box!  :-) Except I mount it on
/misc/floppy and /misc/cdrom.  Having people mounting by hand is
acceptable in traditional maiframe-like Unix use (ie severs) where
mounting is rare.  It is not acceptable on a workstation where people
are constantly mounting and umounting CDs and floppies.  I also made
this mounting secure (ie user and this disables execution, settuids
and device files who could be a in afloppy inserted by a malicious
user.  THis needs to be documented

--
			Jean Francois Martinez

http://www.independence.seul.org