Re: synchronising with Redhat

On 8 Mar 1999 jfm2@club-internet.fr wrote:

> friendliness area.  In addition they will be including Gnome.

hmmm ... I am not sure if the latter is good or bad (-; Actually, GNOME
itself is OK, but enlightenment is awful. Most of the satisfied GNOME
users seem to be using it with Window-maker ( I've even heard of someone
who uses it with kwm ! )

> wait until the smoke clears and in the meantime modify the install,

sounds good. A one month wait or so should see most of the showstopping
problems resolved.

> add features, modernize our stuff

SOunds good. I also prefer the idea of working on our own stuff to working
on catching up with Redhat.

> About RedHat problems in 5.0 they will not directly related to glibc
> but more to the fact they didn't warn about people having upgraded to
> > 5.3.12

Also, a lot of users didn't fully understand the implications of the
upgrade. Those who had added a lot of libc5 packages on top of the
standard packages were left in the cold.

> About Suse I cannot tell I admire the Suse people.  In fact being libc

well, they've made a significant contribution to XFree86 , and always
provide the latest in XServers.  I saw their 6.0 release and it had an
enormous software collection. Their users manual keeps evolving too ( it's
less incoherent now ... )

> based was used as a marketing tool well after libc was no longer

it wouldn't have been such a marketable line if Redhat didn't botch their
first glibc distro so badly ...

Of course, It would be nice if everyone would just
settle on versions of the C and C++ libraries. Long live LSB (-;

> after having had two german computers at work who were not specially

Hmmmm ... I didn't even know there was such a thing. I thought all the
parts were made in the US, or East Asia ...

> > A year or so ago, enough of the standard packages would change
> > so significantly in a short space of time to make each new release worth
> > having. However, a lot of software has stabilised and for many new users,
> > the case for being on the bleeding edge seems much weaker.
> >

> Gnome, kernel 2.2, plus linuxconf going up and being able to do far
> more things.

all of these can be added to our current setup without the trouble of
going with a new Redhat as a base.  This contrasts with the situation some
time back when GNOME and GIMP both required glibc , and a substantial
cross section of the distro would improve between minor releases.

cheers,

-- Donovan