Re: synchronising with Redhat

> > after having had two german computers at work who were not specially
>
> Hmmmm ... I didn't even know there was such a thing. I thought all the
> parts were made in the US, or East Asia ...

First one had a screen who was far worse than the El Cheapo taiwanese
screen I had at home at this time: far lower refresh rates, that was
playing with my eyes.  Second one had a screen who exhausted its
electronic cannons in just one year.  It had to be replaced.  The disk
of the second one (P75) was also a relatively bad performer.

> > > A year or so ago, enough of the standard packages would change
> > > so significantly in a short space of time to make each new release worth
> > > having. However, a lot of software has stabilised and for many new users,
> > > the case for being on the bleeding edge seems much weaker.
> > >

> > Gnome, kernel 2.2, plus linuxconf going up and being able to do far
> > more things.

Samba 2.0

> all of these can be added to our current setup without the trouble of
> going with a new Redhat as a base.  This contrasts with the situation some
> time back when GNOME and GIMP both required glibc , and a substantial
> cross section of the distro would improve between minor releases.

As I said I don't fear bugs related to glibc but the load of going
glibc 2.1 and 2.2 kernel could induce some oopses from RH.  About the
trouble, kernel 2.2 requires upgrading a significant amount of the
basic stuff.  6.0 will provide them, 5.2 provides most but not all.

IMHO we will need to see how good or bad it is and also what it
provides.

--
			Jean Francois Martinez

http://www.independence.seul.org