Re: [gtj@tesla.net.au: Independence]

On 8 Mar 1999 16:42:36 -0000
jfm2@club-internet.fr wrote:

> > > I just received this mail.  One of the nice things in Australia is
> > > that it is monday before nearly everybody else.
> > >
> > > I warned him that this version will be shortlived due to RedHat
> > > issuing a new version in a few weeks not to mention the fact I don't
> > > have a CD-R (the later can be solved).
> >
> > I have a CD writer here (well, a guy who lives 10 feet from me does). If you
> > provide me with a CD image, I can burn it.
>
> It has to be built and preferently made bootable.  I never have done
> that but I can assist you in transforming the ftp-oriented
> /pub/independence/distribution directory into something looking like a
> CD-Rom.
It's quite easy to use mkisofs building bootable CDROM images.
I used mkisofs from RH 5.2 to build my own Linux install CDROM.

> > I suppose the other issue is the bigger one, though -- do we expect Redhat
> > to finish their release (6.0?) on time, and do we expect it to be different
> > enough that we can't just tell them to plug in the new rpms?
> >

> Unless RedHat goes glibc 2.1 most rpms should be pluggable right out
> of the box.  The main ones to be affected would be those related to
I've tried glibc2.1 with RH5.2, almost every pkg works, while
staroffice/realplay sucks. RH 6.0 Beta use xdm script to start xdm, not
/etc/inittab.
> booting or boot scripts and X start.  However the install should be
> redone and perhaps I will take advantage to add support for two
> features I much want: ppp setup at install time and boot directly into
> XDM.
TurboLinux has ppp setup at install, one should config X correctly
before boot into XDM. There are some cards not support by standard
XFree86 3.3.3.1, such as S3 Savage3D, Intel i740, ..., for S3 Savage3D
one has to use VESA framebuffer driver.

/kjx