Re: another success story

On Fri, 12 Mar 1999, Roger Dingledine wrote:

> >    Solaris does this one first login.  In this case, it should be
> > possible to have a script in startx pick a window manager, and remove
> > itself after really starting X.  Would be nice...  Maybe have the
> > default home for a new user have this startX, and then delete itself
> > allowing the real one to be called.
>
> I could've sworn I recently saw an xdm variant that let you pick (from a
> pull-down menu) which window manager you were going to use for that login.
> It might have been gnome-based. I don't remember it very well.

kdm does that.

> I believe there's a little tk script that starts after you start X, and
> allows you to pick which window manager you want to boot that time.
> Assuming we approve of tk as a language, that might be a good start. (It's
> somewhere on freshmeat. Again, no clue what the name is.)

There are several apps that do this. I know of one Qt based called wmm...
I think a link should be in the Qt mailing list archives.

 `9_ 9  )   `-. (    ).`-._.`)  ralsina@unl.edu.ar
 (_Y_.)' ._   ) `._`.  " -.-'   Centro de Telematica
  _..`-'_..-_/ /-'_.'           Universidad Nacional del Litoral
(l)-'' ((i).' ((!.'             Santa Fe - Argentina
                                KDE Developer (MFCH)
Life isn't short. It's just that death is longer.