Re: another success story

On Sat, 13 Mar 1999, Stein Vrale wrote:

> Roberto Alsina wrote:
> >
> > On Fri, 12 Mar 1999, Roger Dingledine wrote:
>
> > > I could've sworn I recently saw an xdm variant that let you pick (from a
> > > pull-down menu) which window manager you were going to use for that login.
> > > It might have been gnome-based. I don't remember it very well.
> >
> > kdm does that.
> >
> > > I believe there's a little tk script that starts after you start X, and
> > > allows you to pick which window manager you want to boot that time.
> > > Assuming we approve of tk as a language, that might be a good start. (It's
> > > somewhere on freshmeat. Again, no clue what the name is.)
> >
> > There are several apps that do this. I know of one Qt based called wmm...
> > I think a link should be in the Qt mailing list archives.
>
> You may look at this kdm setup, I'm not sure if this is the correct way
> to do it but it does works somehow, it lets you select between KDE and
> Enlightenment when you login to kdm. Section tree is the interesting
> part:
>
> http://www.terminator.net/kde/kdm.html

It's complementary to that.

You see, when you start X, it runs a script (usually ~/.xinitrc, or
~/.xsession, whatever). When that script ends, X ends.

That's why the last command in that script is usually the window manager.
When you exit the window manager, the script ends and you are out of X.

There are some tools that want to run there, and then they provide you
with a menu to choose the WM.

It's kinda neat because you can exit the WM, and you end back in the tool.
This way, you can switch between WMs without closing your applications.

Most WMs have some support to do this kind of things themselves (the
"start twm" option in fvwm's menus for example).

This is a bit better because it works with all WMs consistently, and you
need configure your list of WMs only once, instead of on each WM's config
file.

Hope I was a bit clear :-)

 `9_ 9  )   `-. (    ).`-._.`)  ralsina@unl.edu.ar
 (_Y_.)' ._   ) `._`.  " -.-'   Centro de Telematica
  _..`-'_..-_/ /-'_.'           Universidad Nacional del Litoral
(l)-'' ((i).' ((!.'             Santa Fe - Argentina
                                KDE Developer (MFCH)
Life isn't short. It's just that death is longer.