Re: Selecting applications

> On Mon, 29 Mar 1999, Sharp, Lee wrote:
>
> > that a bad install will keep new people from trying Linux.  "If I can't
> > even get the thing installed, how can I run it?"  We do need to have a
> > minimum level, clean, easy install, or people will never look at the
> > cool apps we find.
>
> 99% of the difficulties encountered by new users installing linux are
> caused by hardware incompatible with the distribution they acquire.
> So putting hours and hours of work into the install will make minimal
> impact on the ease of installation for the average user. On the other
> hand, a "we want drivers" campaign is a smarter way to attack the main
> issues.

99% is a bit overestimated.  I have found several examples where the
Indy install assumes the user knows far too much about Unix like the
surrealistic dialog where he is asked to select the servers to start.
Of course I ever choose "custom" for type of install and that would be
atypical and not recommended for a complete beginner.  I didn't try
the workstation type due to the automatic reformatting of every Linux
partition so I don't know (and don't remember from the sources) what
happens when the user tries one of the canned installs.

Of course there are now companies who ship Linux preinstalled or will
ship it shortly.  I have heard of one called IBM located at Armonk (NJ).

--
			Jean Francois Martinez

http://www.independence.seul.org