Re: Adding helix to Indy

> On Sat, 25 Mar 2000, JF Martinez wrote:
> >
> > Yesterday I added to Indy the version of Gnome like shipped by Helix
> > as this is newer version and looks nicer and more stable than the
> > version shipped in RedHAt 6.2 beta.
> >
> Great, I was going to suggest that.

We will have to fix the splash screen and create our own one.  A quick
solution would be to use one of the impressive background images in
the Enlightenment who was in RedHat 6.0, add a nice logo and make it
smaller.

Also there are a couple of minor tweaks to make in their RPMs.  For
instnce ggv (Gnome's implementation of gv) does not antialias texts by
default so the user will see crappy and nearly unreadable text until
the day he thinks in setting it in the preferences.

> On another note, I have almost completed the RPM's for the KDE 2.0
> alpha release. I have entered into a test with Christopher Molnar at
> kde-alpha@nebsllc.com where by he will be providing me the daily KDE
> 2.0 updates using rsync so as to keep an "up to date" copy of the Indy
> KDE 2.0 RPM's on hand until we release.

With luck we will be the first to ship KDE.

> I have installed the current build of KDE 2.0 alpha on my Red Hat 6.2b
> installation in place of the 1.2 release and it is working fairly well.
> Chris says that major changes are being made on a daily basis as they
> get ready for the 2.0 release, so I expect better results by then.
>
> BTW Jean, what was changed in kdebase-1.1.2-10_Indy.i386.rpm to make it
> "Indy" specfic? I have not bothered to check, so I thought that I might
> ask.

Indy's KDE has a couple tricks at startup who make it cleaner than in
other distribs but I don't remember what they were.

> I am currently building the XFree86-4.0 RPM's and looking at the source
> of Xconfigurator.

Nice.  By the way I built the RPMS available from Mandrake and they
don't build GLU, if we could fix that we would able to remove the Mesa
3.2 shipped by RedHat as it breaks blender and I think other programs.

--
			Jean Francois Martinez

http://www.independence.seul.org