Re: Thoughts on Redhat 6.0

> >>    I think we should rebuild for 6.0 as soon as possible, but still
> >> call it a beta until we have a chance to bang on it, and finish docs
> >> for 6.0.1 instead of 5.2.1...  Integrating all our changes will take
> >> long enough to find the biggest bugs anyway.
> >
> >My vote is for going 6.0.  There are many things I want: 2.2, TT
> >support, booting into XDM, KDE 1.1.1 (instead of our 1.1), Gnome (yes
> >it is stable), plus improvements into the install.  Of course I am not
> >proposing releasing Indy 0.2 five minutes after RedHat, we will let
> >them fix their worse bugs before releasing.  Fortunately they tend to
> >be fast at this.
> >
> >Problem I have is that everything I built against glibc2.0 would be
> >better recompiled against glibc 2.1.  By the way I am reluctant to
> >build and load things I will have to reload later so until I get 6.0 I
> >will write programs for easiing the maintenance of the distrib,
> >nonarch thingies and take a serious look at the install.  Plus the
> >ever fun thing of replacing RedHat by Independence except on a couple
> >places and this for every language known to man and alien.
> >
> >Tonight I will purge the site of what has been obsoleted by 2.2.  That
> >includes our present KDE (due to the fact it will use a different C++
> >library) and every K app but I will reload a new version as soon as I
> >am able to get 6.0: I still think ours was better.  :-)
>
>    So you will be rebuilding the FTP site around 6.0 and adding our
> packages?  Before you have 6.0?  Your good!  What will it take to "get
> you 6.0?"  I have a CD here, and an ISO on my hard drive.  I can e-mail
> it, or Fed-Ex it...  As the top guy, you need to cool toys first. :-)
>
> 			Lee

Starting with 5.0 the RedHat people have managed for the distribution
popping up the same day in Europe and USA (don't know about Asia).
That means I should in theory get it next Monday.  It will be the big
version with support (I obviously don't need) but also with IBM's Via
Voice and the Introductory Manual and it happens I am curious to have
a look at in order to see what is their idea of an Introductory
Manual: the book in the blue box told about kernel compiling before
how to connect to your ISP.  :-)

--
			Jean Francois Martinez

http://www.independence.seul.org