Re: QNX RTOS? (Apologies for off-topic!)

> It has come to my attention that on Mon, 10 May 1999, Alex Funk wrote:
> >My dear old mom sent me a clipping describing the QNX RTOS, which with a
> >GUI, an internet browser (with JavaScript, frames and animated GIF
> >support), and a dialer, is claimed to fit on one HD floppy.
> >
> >I did the "Floppy challenge" and downloaded their zipped file from
> >http://www.qnx.com/.
> >The downloading, unzipping and floppy installation seemed to go
> >flawlessly but produced nothing that would boot either of my fairly
> >ordinary 200MHz Pentium PCs.  Not surprisingly, it didn't put any files
> >on the floppy that Windoze recognized, either.
> >
> >Have any of you tried the process with better results?
>
> Yes, when I first started playing with Linux I did this, and it was
> impressive, except that the GUI was two-color only.  What more
> can you expect from one floppy, though?  More impressive was
> that it needed no information about my system, but instead
> auto-detected everything...
>
> --

Forgive for being prosaic but while Qnx could be of interest for its
RT features I don't see what is so great about being lean in our days
of 10G disks for 200$ and 64Megs for 80$.  The goal is to minimize
expenditure in $$$ (aka the almighty buck) not memory.

--
			Jean Francois Martinez

http://www.independence.seul.org